Friday, August 15, 2008

Cool Feature

I saw somebody else had this cool feature on their blog that does a slideshow of photos so I thought I would try it out. And, of course, I had taken a few photos of my favorite flowers from early August - daylilies and zinnias. I love zinnias because they are so bright and happy and attract bees and butterflies and if you can avoid the dreaded powdery mildew, they look gorgeous all summer. And daylilies - I can't think of anything negative about them. They are just incredible - not fussy about soil, they withstand drought and disease and reward you with beautiful blooms. I had to sadly dig up and throw out all of my Asiatic lilies, as they had been taken over by the dreaded lily leaf beetle, which essentially destroys them. It really is impossible to hand-pick them as they are just voracious, and I won't use heavy pesticides in my garden which is the only way to control them. So good-bye to the imported Asiatic lilies, and hello to more native perennials.

(It took me about an hour to figure out how to do this so it is actually in the above post - which, obviously, you've figured out by now if you're actually reading this.)

No comments: