Monday, January 12, 2009

A prolonged absence

Obviously it has been awhile since I have been here. Why? Well, first of all, I did the big no-no and started looking at other homeschooler blogs. I know, I know, I swore I wasn't going to torture myself with comparisons anymore but apparently I am a glutton for punishment. Every other homeschool mom is apparently spending her 24 hours coming up with creative, amazing educational opportunities for their children whilst I secretly wonder if I am permanently damaging my children. I berate myself for my self-centered, lazy nature and sullenly walk away for the computer and curse those moms singing songs and playing the flute with their prodigy children. Nothing a pint of Haagen-Daaz won't fix.

And then of course are the basic challenges of spending such an inordinate amount of time with my children. I love them to death, but 24/7 without any break for months on end has really been pushing me over the edge. Perhaps after over 7 years of being home it is time to think about a change. The first change I have to make is trying to scrape together some "me" time, not as easy as one might think, but maybe 2 or 3 hours a week would work. The second change is looming on the horizon, as we contemplate putting the kids in school next September. There is a certain amount of heartbreak for me as I contemplate that change, but also a bit of relief.

I can't say what the future holds but right now I will continue to do my best and enjoy the rest of this schoolyear with the kids and try to cut myself some slack for not being the "perfect" homeschooling mom - I'll just be me and know that to my kids, I already am perfect.

2 comments:

Katie said...

I hope you're doing okay! If it helps, every homeschooling mom I know says the same thing :)

Molly said...

Hi!
Although this doesn't apply to your post per se, I just wanted to invite you to "Kids say the darndest things Friday" blog hop at:
http://mysticalrosedesign.blogspot.com/2010/03/post-signature_19.html
We’d love to have you join the fun and share your stories. I’m sure that you have some real gems!
In Christ,
Molly