Monday, June 23, 2008

Cert-ic-afit Time!

I just love the way G. says this! He was so excited to get his cert-ic-afit from preschool, so I decided to make one for C. too. She was very pleased. But technically I don't feel we actually finished. I want to finish the spelling/phonics workbook over the summer so that we can start on the next level in the fall, and she also needs to continue with math because there are some concepts she is still struggling with. But she felt special receiving her certificate, and that is all that matters.

















Anyway, G. loved his graduation ceremony. He gave a friendly wave as he came out in his graduation "gown" and sang all the songs with his superstar glasses.
He gave a handshake upon receiving the certificate and sat nicely with his sister for a picture.






























Now why, you might ask, did G. go to preschool instead of homeschooling? Because he is four - enough said.

But seriously, I was finding being with G. all the time to be so intense. I think we are just so much alike that we are in a constant struggle for control. I try not to be so controlling with G., but for a *controlling* person like myself it is difficult. And I will admit, he pushes my buttons and I am constantly trying to regroup and find better ways of communicating with him. But it is exhausting. And for our first year of homeschooling, I wanted to have some "one-on-one" time with C. because I was nervous about making it work. I am not one who thinks preschool is a must and I certainly don't give a hoot about "kindergarten readiness." I was very lucky to find a lovely place with caring people who believe that children should *play* - G. really thrived there and had a wonderful year.

I am very proud of both of them for a wonderful year. And I'm actually proud of myself. It was a year of growth for me, too, finding the confidence within myself to live the dream I have always had to homeschool my children. I always remember, though, that it is what is best for *them* that matters. And it's not just homeschooling, really - it is a total lifestyle. For now, I know C. is very happy being at home with her family and so am I. I can't wait for all the fun things we will do over the summer!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Congrats to both of them!

My oldest is almost 7 and she's like my twin, I have such a hard time dealing with her. She's just so much like me it drive me nuts sometimes.