Monday, September 8, 2008

Blueberry Picking




While our thoughts may have turned to applepicking, we still managed to pick bucketfuls of huge, ripe blueberries last week. If you are ever in the Monadnock area, you have to go to Monadnock Berries, an unbelievably gorgeous location for huge sweet berries. My friend had told me about this place and I figured it was just like any other place, but I was proven wrong (not an unusual occurrence....) At any rate, we journeyed up to Troy, NH, a mere 25 minutes from here, and enjoyed a gorgeous morning of picking. We brought lunches and ate at the picnic tables while the kids enjoyed playing in the sandboxes.

The view of Mt. Monadnock


Starting out...



G. finds something to climb on...


Showing off the bounty...


So I have pounds and pounds of luscious blueberries in my freezer, and we have been enjoying blueberry everything. One of our favorites has been lemon-blueberry bread. I substitute whole-wheat pastry flour for the white flour and throw in a bit of ground flaxseed, just to make myself feel better about the pound of butter and sugar in it, but I made four mini-loaves last night and they are almost gone!So now we will move onto apples and pumpkins, but we are sure to return next year for more blueberries!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Mmmm, they look so yummy!! I'm hoping to take the kids to a pick your own apple orchard next month so I can make up lots of apple butter :)