Monday, September 1, 2008

Happy Birthday, Carmella!

It's official! C. has turned 7 years old. When she was four, she used to think that she could do anything if only she were seven. "When I'm seven, I'll be able to chew gum. When I'm seven, I'll be able to watch Scooby-Doo." And she definitely can! Not only does she chew gum (occasionally), but she reads, rides her bike, makes her breakfast and looks at the world through new eyes.

So to celebrate on her special day, we met her aunt and cousins at a famous American eatery, TGIFriday's. The one thing I knew she wanted was to go to a restaurant and have them sing "Happy Birthday" to her and bring her a fancy dessert. So of course I accomodated that desire and found myself smack dab in the middle of the suburban American version of "eating out."

Now lest I come across like a snob, let me admit right now that I am a snob. We rarely eat out, and on those rare occasions we try for some ethnic cuisine or upscale pizzeria. But here we find ourselves on a Friday night, fighting for position at the hostess table, adding our names to the list of hungry families needing their mass-produced meals. It was somewhat frightening really, but that was nothing compared to the food.

Applebees, Chili's, Outback Steakhouse, Uno's, Olive Garden - did it really matter where we ate? Who was handling our food? Where did it come from? E.coli was a definite possibility. The food arrives, dripping in fat and grease and overly salty sauces. I look around and the place is packed - every single table filled with parents and children and (being the judgemental jerk that I am) I can't help but think that there are a lot of people who eat here a lot. And then I think - it's no wonder the palate of America is ruined. The fat and salt has completely wiped out my taste buds - how do people eat in these places more than once in a lifetime? It's so grotesque.

But it was worth it! To see C.'s face as the waiters clapped and sang for her on her special day made me so happy. What a sweet girl - to be so young and innocent that a little thing like going to a restaurant can make you so happy. I take back everything I said. I love American chain restaurant food! I love it! I love it!



The most beautiful girl in the world with her ice cream sundae.


Can't forget about the cherry!


Forgive me my snobbery, but I can't help it. It took two days of nothing but berries and raw veggies to feel human again. And I can't help but feel queasy that we might have to do it again next year. Do you think C. would be happy with a mango lassi from an Indian restaurant?

2 comments:

Favorite Kitty said...

First of all, Happy Birthday, Carmella!

(I found your blog when you posted about a hike on the Orange-Athol homeschool group)

This post sounds exactly like something that has come out of my mouth many times. Except that we DO eat out a lot. And hate it. We try to go to vegetarian restaurants, though, and that is hard to do. I cant go out to eat at a "regular" place anymore because even my 7 year old complains about how salty his food is! Its gross. Over priced, unhealthy, bland, trash worthy meals.

(why do I keep going out to eat then??)

Probably because we adventure a lot and never know how long we will be out or where it will take us. We had to go to the Greenfield Fair this past Sunday and thank goodness we already ate lunch. What would we have been able to eat there? Trying to be healthy-ish and being vegetarian?

Fried dough. I had maple sugar fried dough. Ha!

catherine said...

Thanks for reading! Sometimes it is hard to find something, we end up with bagels at Dunkin Donuts sometimes! And maple sugar fried dough sounds delicious!

The hike got rained out, BTW, I'm going to reschedule it - maybe you can come!