Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Math!

We started a new math curriculum last winter called Right Start. I chose it because I liked the fact that there a lot of manipulatives and I liked the philosophy, which you can read about here.

It has worked very well for us, but there are definitely concepts that seem very difficult for C. I don't know why this is, but when we run into trouble I try to find a new way to approach it. For example, she could not figure out the difference between nickes and dimes and how much they are worth, and the concept of adding them together was complete gibberish to her. So I decided to make it a little fun for her and I gathered together empty food boxes and made a little store for her!C. was very excited about it, she loved having the shopping bag and making her selections at the "store."
Adding up her purchases on the abacus.
Counting out the correct amount with dimes, nickels, and pennies!
Her turn to be the cashier! Of course, she prettied it up with some plants and candles.


Success! I think this really helped her to understand how to add the different coins. I love having the freedom to leave things when they don't work and come back to it a different way on a different day.

2 comments:

Katie said...

You have such great ideas! How old is she? Bailey will be in 1st grade for the upcoming school year, she definitely has a very traditional American understanding of math, but seems to have a fairly easy time with math (she's pretty proficient with adding up to sums of 15 or so). We're pretty much doing straight CHC for the first year (mostly to give me enough structure I don't have a panic attack!) but I can tell just by looking through their math book that we won't be using it again next year.

catherine said...

Hi! C. is 6 and we did a first grade curriculum this year. Her math skills were weak, she still struggles with adding numbers up to 10, so we started with the first level "A" which seemed about right for her. Other concepts were much easier for her (things that require visualization come very easy for her, that's why this curriculum works so well for her) so it seems like a good fit. A workbook-based math just wouldn't work for her.
She does really like the CHC workbooks, especially the First Speller and Little Stories.