Friday, May 2, 2008

Time for Family

One of the biggest benefits of homeschooling is the amazing freedom it gives us. I love the lack of time restrictions and our lives not being held captive by a school calendar. So when my mom called and told me she wanted to come up for a "school day" visit the kids were very excited! We thought of some things we wanted to do with her and had a wonderful time. C. was excited to show her all of the projects we have been working on for our ancient Egypt theme, and G. wanted to show her all of his Planet Hero toys. But first up was reading to Grammy.








We did some lovely watercolor painting in the classroom. We were all very creative and Grammy painted a beautiful picture of the view of the woods from the classroom.

We also made tissue-paper butterflies to hang up in the classroom.

The best part of Grammy's visit is always her wonderful support and love she gives to us all. I am so lucky to have so much support from my family as we start our homeschooling life. This year has had some ups and a few downs, but I have never had to justify our decision to homeschool to anybody. Or maybe I just refuse to:)

I always pictured myself living across the street from my mom, having dinner together, just dropping by to say hello and have a cup of tea. Unfortunately, that hasn't happened and we find ourselves a few hours away from each other. Maybe someday we'll be able to be closer, but for now it is just nice to get together when we can. Not every homeschooling mom is lucky enough to get the support I have. My mom is the most non-judgmental, supportive, loving mother anyone could ask for. Mom - you rock!

1 comment:

Katie said...

My mom is also really supportive of homeschooling, I'm so glad! Most of my family is, actually, I suppose we're lucky. My husband's aunt is kind of wary of it but I think that's because his sister homeschools and she's not impressed with how she goes about it. Oh well!

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)